Still waiting to receive your refund or stimulus check?

If you filed your tax return months ago and still have not received your refund or economic stimulus check then you need to check with the IRS.  If the IRS has your incorrect address, then all it takes is an address update with them and all your missing checks will be mailed to you.

If you are wondering where your stimulus check is, then you can visit the “Where’s my stimulus check” part of the IRS website or call 1-866-234-2942.  By law all stimulus checks must be mailed out by December 31, 2008, so time is quickly running out!

If you are wondering where your refund check is, then you can visit the “Where’s my refund” part of the IRS website or call 1-800-829-1954.  In order to check the status of your refund online you must know your Social Security Number, filing status, and amount of refund shown on your 2007 tax return.  This online tool will then tell you if your address is incorrect or if there is some other problem with your return. 

If you find that your refund check is being held up for some other reason than an incorrect address then the IRS should notify you of the problem.  If there is any problem with your return that you can’t seem to resolve on your own, then feel free to contact us for help.  www.

The easiest way to avoid future problems with your tax returns is to choose to file electronically and to choose to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account.

About the author

Seattle CPA+John Huddleston has written extensively on tax related subjects of interest to small business owners. Since 2002, he has owned his own small business, Huddleston Tax CPAs. He is a graduate of Washington State University and the University of Washington School of Law.