Renting Part of a Property

If you rent out only part of a property you need to be sure to account correctly for the expenses.  If you rent only part of a property then you must divide the expenses between personal and rental use.  You can deduct the rental portion of the expenses on Schedule E of your 1040 and the personal expenses (such as mortgage interest and property taxes) on the Schedule A of your 1040.  If you have any expenses that belong only to the rental portion of the building, then these do not need to be divided.

For example, if you have an apartment attached to your home that you rent out then you must divide expenses such as mortgage interest and property taxes between the part of the home you live in and the part that is rented out.  You can do this based on the square footage of the total house and the part you rent out.  You must also divide expenses like homeowners insurance and utilities between the rental and non-rental portion.  The non-rental portion of the insurance and utilities is not deductible on your tax return, but the rental portion is deductible as a rental expense on Schedule E of your 1040.  If you have something like a phone line running only to the rental then this expense in fully deductible as a rental expense since it is not being used by the rest of the home.

If you have any questions about what is deductible as part of your rental and what expenses need to be divided then it is best to consult a tax professional.


Jessica Chisholm, CPA
Seattle/Bellevue Tax Accountants
Be Sociable, Share!

Seattle CPAAbout Seattle CPA
Seattle CPA+John Huddleston has written extensively on tax related subjects of interest to small business owners. Since 2002, he has owned his own small business, Huddleston Tax CPAs. He is a graduate of Washington State University and the University of Washington School of Law.

Comments are closed.

Huddleston Tax CPAs of Seattle & Bellevue
Certified Public Accountants Focused on Small Business

(800) 376-1785
40 Lake Bellevue Suite 100, Bellevue, WA 98005

Huddleston Tax CPAs & accountants provide tax preparation, tax planning, business coaching, Quickbooks consulting, bookkeeping, payroll and business valuation services for small business. We serve Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Tacoma, Everett, Kent, Kirkland, Bothell, Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Shoreline, Kenmore, Lake Forest Park, Mountlake Terrace, Renton, Tukwila, Federal Way, Burien, Seatac, Mercer Island, West Seattle, Auburn, Snohomish and Mukilteo. We have a few meeting locations. Call to meet John Huddleston, J.D., LL.M., CPA, Tawni Berg, CPA, Jennifer Zhou, CPA, Jessica Chisholm, CPA or Chuck McClure, CPA. Member WSCPA.